From the trail horse to the show hunter, horses are athletes that have unique issues affecting their performance. Keeping your horse healthy and sound is the goal of the veterinarians at Haymarket Veterinary Service. Whether diagnosing lameness, prescribing therapy, or working with you to plan rehabilitation, we offer many services to help your horse perform at his peak so that you may spend more time in the saddle.
Our performance horse medicine services include:
- Lameness exams
- Diagnostic nerve blocks
- Equine pre-purchase exams
- Digital ultrasound – Ultrasound allows diagnosis and monitoring of tendon and ligament injuries. Normal, healthy tendons have a uniform density and appear uniformly white or grey on ultrasound. Tears are visible as a disruption in the fiber pattern and fluid accumulation or dark spots in and around the tendon. Ultrasound helps show the location and severity of the injury allowing the veterinarian to plan treatment and monitor healing.
- Digital x-ray – Digital x-ray gives us superior imaging and diagnostic capabilities for lameness, pre-purchase evaluations, as well as dentistry and other skeletal problems. Digital x-ray allows for real-time diagnostics, meaning better and faster care for you and your horses.
- Digital endoscopy – Using a fiberoptic “scope,” we are able to look into hard-to-reach places to diagnose problems such as stomach ulcers, throat abnormalities, nasal tumors, and guttural pouch infections, just to name a few!
- Therapeutic joint injections – In cases of arthritis or specific joint pain, injection of the joint with medications may help alleviate pain and protect the joint from further injury.
- Regenerative therapies – With tendon or suspensory ligament injuries, there are many regenerative therapies available that could aid in healing and speed recovery.
- Chiropractic and Acupuncture Treatments
- Farrier consultations for corrective shoeing and trimming